Sunday, August 14, 2005

Rhapsody in Blue (Jeans)


Last night, I awoke suddenly and frantically rolled to Jason's side to check the time. It was 3:00 am and I felt unusually rested. I did some quick math to surmise that Kaia had been been sleeping since around 9:00 pm. I briefly held my breath and listened for a sound from her...not a peep. All I at once, I counted my blessings and got out of bed to check her. She was a peaceful, sleeping babe. Crawling back into bed after five solid hours of sleep in a row was a delicious treat. She ended up waking up about half and hour later, but as I nursed her I grinned and laughed and thought "So, she's capable of six hours of uninterrupted sleep - what a milestone!" Of course, I immediately began comtemplating what factors could have caused this supernatural occurance...exaustion? really full belly? sleeping position? did someone slip a sedative in my milk? I had to know how I could duplicate it. I haven't figured it out, but I'm ready to give it a shot again tonight.
After her 3:30 am feeding, she went right back to sleep until 7:00 am. I felt like a brand new woman today, energized and ready to do what any well rested woman would do...go SHOPPING! This was the day I was going to wear great shoes. This was the day I would fix my hair and wear jewelry. This was the day I'd don a real (padded, no less) bra and pre-pregnancy blouse. And, best of all, this was the day I slipped...er, "squeezed and shimmied" into regular size 6 (for the number of weeks since Kaia's birth) jeans! Halleluia!
So who cares that the last button barely closed and that my jelly belly hung over the top of the jeans? It certainly didn't matter that they were a teensy bit tight when I sat down. Boy, it sure felt fabulous to wear jeans. While pregnant, I swore I'd never wear regular waisted pants again...I had fallen in love with the stretchy, comfy maternity bands in pants. I was totally unaware of the bliss awaiting me in those hand me down, worn out, torn and perfectly washed Abercrombie jeans (thanks, Shawna H! Do I have to give them back?). It was as if a shadow of my old body existed inside of them. I wonder if they are like the magic jeans in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" movie? I would be lying if I said I didn't sashay my way through Scottsdale Fashion Square mall today with Jason and the baby and my Bugaboo Frog stroller. I really felt like a hot Mama...until I sat down in the food court and watched all of the Scottsdale girls and woman strut by swathed in their Guess, Hollister, Gap, and Lucky brand fashion. I realized that mini-mini skirts are really in this season and this post-pregnancy butt doesn't have a chance in hell to be covered in one of them.
Well, I guess we Mamas must walk our own cat-walk. Remember that the key is really amazing shoes...no one ever looks fat in them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right....Shoes are the key