Monday, April 10, 2006

for jason, twenty-eight



upon pulling back

the edges of my heart

the revelation was that

you were always there

deep down

tunneled and safe

knocking, knocking


i knew this

when I was in high school

with stringy hair

and combat boots

and so many poems

i could drink them

for days


when she asked me

“who would you marry”

and I answered

immediately

unremarkably

without hesitation

you


like the worry stone

whose edges are smooth

from rhythmic touch

from ages, from love

so, too, my heart now

smooth, from love

from 120 moons


i get it now

it’s not that you complete me

as much as you

make me remember

who I am

when I’m alone

with the dark moon


so bare, so tiny

intense

like a child

destined to birth

like her

destined to be ours

on this day

yours


*** on jason's 28th birthday, 4.11.2006

No comments: